Pneumonia or disease that haunts one's lungs is not a condition that can be crossed. According to data from the World Health Organization (WHO), pneumonia accounts for 15 percent of all deaths of children under 5 years of age. This lung disease killed 808,694 children in 2017. Quite troubling, isn't it?
In 2016 then, the Ministry of Health was predicting about 800,000 children in Indonesia were infected with this lung disease. Unfortunately, in 2018 the prevalence of pneumonia rose from 1.6 percent to 2 percent.
In other words, pneumonia is not a rare disease in Indonesia. In our country, the disease is also known as wet lung terms. Infections that trigger inflation in the air pockets can occur in one or both of the lungs. A bunch of small air pockets at the end of the respiratory tract in the lungs, will swell and be filled with fluid.
The question is, how is the way to prevent pneumonia in productive age?
Read also : 4 Examination for Detection of Abdominal Migraine
Identify vulnerable symptoms and groupsBefore answering the questions above, it's good to get acquainted first with the symptoms. Diseases that invade the lungs are varied, influenced by severity. Not only that, the diversity of symptoms of pneumonia is also affected by the type of bacteria triggering infections, age, and health conditions of the state. However, there are some symptoms that are commonly experienced by wet lung, namely:
- Chest pain;
- Muscle aches;
- Nausea and vomiting;
- Heartbeat is fast;
- Pain in inhaling or coughing;
- Difficulty breathing; Dan
- Phlegm is yellow or green (sometimes it can bleed).
Well, here are the categories that are vulnerable to this disease.
- Elderly over 65 years.
- Patients in hospitals, especially those who use ventilators.
- Chronic disease-craving, such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Active and passive smokers.
- Those with a low immune system. For example, an autoimmune disease or a person who is running chemotherapy.
Read also : Fussy child due to Abdominal migraine, do 5 things
The role of hand washing to vaccinationAlthough the disease can be attacked by many people, it does not mean that a damp lung can be prevented. Now, here are some ways to prevent pneumonia according to the National Institutes of Health-MedlinePlus:
- Frequent breaks hand washing. Especially before preparing and eating food, after sneezing (using a hand to close it), after from the bathroom, changing the baby's diaper, and coming into contact with the sick person.
- Do not smoke. Tobacco damages lung ability to fight infections.
- Strengthen the immune system. A prime immune system can prevent some diseases, including wet lung. To keep the immune system awake, try regular exercise, adequate sleep, and healthy food consumption (antioxidant-rich).
- Protect your body with vaccines. Vaccines can help prevent some types of pneumonia. Be sure to get the following vaccines:
- Flu vaccines can help prevent pneumonia caused by flu viruses.
- Pneumococcal vaccine decreases the likelihood of developing pneumonia from Streptococcus pneumoniae.
- Vaccines are more recommended for elderly and diabetic diabetes, asthma, emphysema, HIV, cancer, or people with organ transplantation.
Read also :